Michael Leon Rivera
Integrated marketing professional with 10 years of experience in media, music and entertainment. Expertise includes managing branded content programs across Social, Digital and Broadcast channels, negotiating music rights and partnerships, as well as developing creative brand strategy and campaign analysis. Effective in resolving complex negotiations as well as managing multiple projects to meet tight deadlines and exceed client expectation.
Sr Associate, Strategy and Brand Partnerships
The Story Lab – A Dentsu Aegis Company-
New York, NY
December 2014 - September 2015
- Supported the ideation and execution of 360° integrated media programs in partnership with NBCUniversal, The GRAMMYs, AMC’s The Walking Dead and Fox's Wayward Pines resulting in over $131MM in added value for Microsoft.
- Coordinated activation of Microsoft's first global integrated media partnership with Fox's Wayward Pines: A Multi channel campaign activated across Digital, Social, OOH and Broadcast in the U.S. and in 6 international markets which resulted in an ROI of over 290% for the client.
- Utilized creative strategy and analysis to optimize the global rollout of the 10 part Microsoft original branded web series, GONE, which drove over 530MM impressions and 22MM video views in only 10 weeks.
- Coordinated with TSL and Empowering Media team members across Strategy, Communications Planning and Insight on initiatives related, but not limited to entertainment, music and media partnerships for Windows & Windows Devices.
- Managed forecasts and tracked spend of $12M fiscal year budget - covering Integrated Media Partnerships and television Product Placement - to ensure alignment with Global Media Budget.
- Cultivated external publisher and content owner relationships to ensure best in class partnership opportunities for Microsoft.
Manager, Music Licensing and Partnerships
GreenLight - A Division of Corbis Entertainment - New York, NY
July 2013 - August 2014
• Liaised between Corbis Entertainment's global accounts team and music industry contacts in order to provide insight and analysis regarding potential partnerships and licensing opportunities.
• Negotiated and obtained all necessary rights and clearances on behalf of GreenLight and Corbis Entertainment (CE) clients, for use of music in advertising, film, tv as well as for merchandise and apparel.
• Managed music research and clearance projects for global brands and agencies including: Google, Y&R, Harman Kardon, Dentsu, Red Fuse, Palmolive-Colgate, P&G, and Kellogg's.
• Managed and curated music integration opportunities (ie music video placement, event sponsorship, artist partnerships) for CE's branded entertainment exchange, the Branded Entertainment Network (BEN).
• Negotiated and secured the first ever music integration deals on behalf of BEN global clients including: Jennifer Lopez with BVLGARI and Avril Lavigne with both FujiFilm and Takahashi Shuzo.
Coordinator, Brand Partnerships & Commercial Licensing Warner Bros Records – New York, NY
January 2011 - June 2013
• Developed comprehensive integrated music marketing strategies for brands seeking to engage and increase awareness amongst various cultural markets.
• Coordinated +100 projects and pitches during the fiscal year 2012 resulting in top line revenue of over $5,000,000 - a 67% increase from FY 2011.
• Day-to-day management of brand and agency client relations.
• Developed and managed strategic relationships with Multi-Cultural and Hispanic brand and agency clients.
• Managed and negotiated Brand Integration deals for Music Videos and other Visual Content including Michael Bublé with Mercedes Benz, and Jason Derulo with ICE Watch.
• Liaised with international affiliates to determine potential global commercial licensing and brand opportunities.
• Coordinated production and timely delivery of all project materials including marketing decks, one-sheets and other necessary assets for special events and campaign sponsorships.
Consultant La Llama Blanca Music – New York, NY
• Freelance brand and licensing consultant for independent artists from the U.S., Latin America and Europe
• Provided necessary creative and administrative research in the development of global content partners for music licensing portal MuuseMe.com.
• Consulted in the development of the partnership between Getty Images Music and MuuseMe.com resulting in the creation of Getty’s Hispanic Music Division.
• Co-Executive Producer for “Heineken Presents: Chaca Chaca,” a celebration of independent Latin music: managed event budget and communication with title sponsor in order to effectively implement key brands elements both online (leading up to event), and on-site (day of event). Booked venue and coordinated talent.
Creative Coordinator Spirit Music Group – New York, NY
June 2008-August 2009
• Recruited new songwriters and managed productive communication between over 20 songwriters (of all genres) and Creative Service Department, resulting in major synch placements in Film, TV and Advertising.
• Managed the digital EP release from Latin Indie band, Los Hollywood; Spirit Records first signing.
• Coordinated communication with the Creative Department at Spirit’s European sub-publishers.
• Coordinated incoming music requests and pitch projects for Creative Service Department.
• Maintained department database of songs, media contacts and synchronization pitches
Assistant, Writer/Publisher Relations Broadcast Music, Inc (BMI) - New York, NY
January 2005 – June 2008
• Successfully addressed high-profile BMI songwriter/publisher catalogs seeking discrepancies (song registrations, cue sheets, etc) in order to update and modify catalogs resulting in the recovery of over $1,000,000 in performance royalties.
• Managed NY Urban Department yearly T&E, Promotional and Event Budgets totally over $80,000 per fiscal year.
• Advised over 50 songwriters and publishers daily (via phone, email, in person) on BMI policies and practices regarding royalty payments, as well as royalty advances and loan requests.
BA, Communication Univ of California, San Diego - La Jolla, CA
- Michael Leon Rivera – @mleonriv
- Strategist, Branded Content and Partnerships
- Open to job offers contract