Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 4 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Communication Department.
JOB GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
The Graphic Designer Internship works in the Creative Contents Unit in the Communications Department and which is made up of two teams: audiovisual and production. The Unit ensures the production of high quality multimedia contents (in English and Spanish; at times in Arabic and other languages) to maximize the organizations’ capacity to inform on MSF-OCBA’s projects both through MSF’s communications channels and external media.
MSF often works on complex issues or contexts which are sometimes hard to translate into easy to understand communications. Thanks to its power of simplification, infographics (and motion design) can help us reach a large audience in a catchy way and help audiences understand an issue in one moment. Social media, traditional media and print reports all benefit from static or animated infographics.
The Graphic Designer Internship will be producing and adapting infographics, design, motion design, animation and multimedia content. S/he will act as a team player in the team working mainly on design production but also giving a hand on video production when needed (subtitling, adaptation).
S/he reports to the Head of the Unit and works in very close collaboration with all the members of the Creative Contents Unit and with the other Units of the Communications Department.
It’s a part-time position (20 hour/week) based in Barcelona.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Create, design and adapt infographics, motion graphics, short animation, datavisualisation, memes, maps, reports, leaflets, posters, etc. for MSF external communication
- Ensure that the design productions are archived, web-ready and available on the database for the MSF movement (i.e. formatted, compressed appropriately, and adaptable for use in other languages)
- Manage and organize design archives
- Contribute to the development of a design culture in-house
• Visual studies, design and/or motion graphics or equivalent
• Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere pro)
• Experience in graphic design and motion graphic
• Familiar with digital communication and social media
• Knowledge of the international design standards
• Fluency in English (other language is an asset)
• Interest for Humanitarian issues
• Team Player
• Creativity, curiosity, a sense of initiative
• Mac environment
• Cross-cultural Awareness and Flexibility
• Analytical Thinking
• Information Seeking and Handling
• Quality and Results orientation
• Planning and Organising
• Initiative and Innovation
• Internal User and/or End Beneficiary orientation
• Capacity to influence
• Teamwork and Networking
• Intership based in the Médecins Sans Frontières-Spain Barcelona Headquarters
• Minimum six months commitment with the position
• Gross Support package: 400 € /20 h/weekly based on the MSF OCBA Internship Policy
• Conditions will be according to MSF internal “Internship policy”, and will be formalized into an “Agreement” signed between MSF and the University detailing duties and obligations of each party
• Starting date: April 2017
- Graphic Designer Intern - Prácticas
- Médecins Sans Frontières
- Barcelona, Spain
- Gross Support package: 400 € /20 h/