Worldreader (www.worldreader.org) is on a mission to bring digital books to every child and her family, so that they can improve their lives through the power of technology.
To accomplish our goals, Worldreader has created a worldwide logistics system, to provide literacy training and support, co-publish books with African and US publishers, measure our results obsessively, report on our progress, and raise money and awareness for our mission. We have a worldwide team of 80+ staff and volunteers across seven countries and three continents that have graduated from the world’s best schools, companies, and non-profits and have accomplished the nearly impossible.
An ethos of working hard, having fun and making history inspires our culture, and the team shares a passion for reading and philanthropy.
We aspire to reach millions of children and families worldwide. We believe that by hiring people larger than we are, we will end up with an organization of Giants.
About the Position
Worldreader’s Digital Production team is looking for an e-book and quality assurance expert to process and publish large batches of content onto our digital platforms. The ideal candidate will have a flare for reducing manual inputs, a knack for problem solving, and the ability to balance the need for speed with high-quality outputs.
Reporting to the Digital Production Manager, the E-book and Quality Assurance Specialist will:
- Manage relationships with publishers’ technical teams pertaining to the processing and publishing of e-books
- Coordinate with technical solutions providers on the digitization of books
- Troubleshoot e-book issues related to markup language, structure, layout, style, format, size, language, etc.
- Apply and automate fixes and edits to large batches of e-books
- Optimize the display of e-books for different digital platforms and various e-reading devices (mobile phones and e-readers)
- Upload e-books to Worldreader’s digital platforms via internal content management systems and make available for reading on various devices
- Own the enhancement of internal content management systems by communicating feedback on their performance and building up plans for streamlining the ingestion of content
- Perform platform- and device-specific quality assurance on uploaded books to eliminate potential errors and guarantee the best possible display
- Develop and implement strategies and techniques to ensure that all digital platforms receive a similar high level of e-book quality
- Take care of file maintenance and housekeeping
- 1-2 years in a similar role, troubleshooting e-books and performing QA
- Expertise in XML, HTML, and CSS
- Familiarity with standard EPUB and MOBI specifications
- Experience with desktop publishing software (Adobe InDesign, QuarkXPress, KindleGen), OCR software, - FTP sites, and CMSs is a plus
- Grasp of project management and CRM tools, such as JIRA and Salesforce
- Numbers wizard, metadata nerd, Excel master
- Obsessive attention to detail and organization
- Ability to communicate complex information in a high-level way
- Problem-solving orientation and a fine sense of responsibility
- Pro-active and can-do attitude combined with a thirst for challenges
- Ability to work independently, with minimum supervision
- Motivation to work in a dynamic environment, wearing multiple hats and balancing several priorities at the same time
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Fluency in Spanish, French, Arabic, or indigenous African or Indian languages considered a plus
- Passion about Worldreader’s mission
- E-book and Quality Assurance Specialist
- Barcelona, Spain
- Commensurate with local market and candidate qualifications and experience.